Sunday, October 14, 2012

Sunday Links: October 14, 2012 Edition

A calmer week on the writing front. I had one piece of good news that isn't public yet but I hope to be able to announce it before the end of the month.

Tomorrow I'll look at how I'm doing in terms of making progress toward my October goals. For now, though, on to this week's links!

"Ask Jami: Do I Have to Take a Break From Writing?" (Jami Gold) - Jami talks about ways writers can try to adapt if something happens which dramatically changes their available time.

"Using the 5 Senses to Make Our Stories Jump Off the Page" (Jody Hedlund) - Jody talks about why including sense descriptions in our stories can be beneficial and also gives some tips on how to do it. I particularly like item #3 on this list which talks about how NOT to make the addition of sense descriptions feel random.

"For the Issue: Adding Conflict to Your Scenes" (Janice Hardy at The Other Side of the Story) - I liked this post about making sure that your characters are dealing not just with obstacles but with hard choices and real conflicts. It's easy to plot some stories with too much of an "A happens then B happens then C happens" structure and while that can work, I think it puts the story at a disadvantage as compared to one which has stronger conflict.

Along with those links, here are the items I posted on my blog this week, skipping over a couple which are already obsolete.

"What Will My Writing Goals Look Like for 2013?" - Monday I talked about how I might approach my goal-setting for 2013 and the factors which would make it different from what I did for 2012.

"'Scraps' Available on DSF Website" - Thursday I posted a short blog entry linking to the Daily Science Fiction web publication of my short story "Scraps."

"My Favorite Authorial Decision" - Thursday I also wrote about a tiny line in "Scraps" which is also my favorite authorial decision. (Note that his post could be vaguely spoilery if you read it before reading "Scraps."

Thanks for stopping by to check out this week's links and I hope that all my readers have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment