Sunday, July 29, 2012

Sunday Links: July 29, 2012 Edition


July is almost over, can you believe it? Tomorrow I'll post my month-end goal status and also write up my planned goals for August. It's been basically a year to the day since I returned to writing last summer and I'm very pleased with how the past year has gone writing-wise. I'm excited to see where the next 12 months take me.

If you missed it earlier this week my mystery story "Present Company" ran on Every Day Fiction on July 24th.

Also, as a reminder, there's still over a month until the August 31st deadline for submissions for Unidentified Funny Objects.

Below are this week's writing-related links that I wanted to share with my readers. Also, if you're so inclined, Kasia James has a guest post up today on my Write Every Day blog where she talks about, well, about NOT writing every day.

"What Traditional Publishers Offer - And What They Don't" (Elizabeth S. Craig at Mystery Writing is Murder) - Elizabeth presents a very even-handed look at both options -- traditional and self/indie -- for publishing. She has experience with both and acknowledges that both have distinct benefits and drawbacks. She also notes which route might be more appropriate given specific attributes of a particular work.

"The Woeful Writing Warnings of Superman III" (Daniel Swensen at Sulrly Muse) - Daniel uses the oft-ridiculed third Superman movie as a platform from which to discuss multiple types of writing mistakes. A fun and insightful read.

"Why Write Short Stories?" (Sandra Wickham at Inkpunks) - Sandra talks about why she writes short stories in this blog post. As someone who loves both writing and reading short fiction, this post was of particular interest to me.

"5 Reasons to Write Your Scenes in Order (and 3 Not to)" (K. M. Weiland Wordplay) - K. M. lists the pros and cons of writing a longer story/novel sequentially. I've mostly written my fiction sequentially though on occasion I've jumped around a bit. Her second "Not to" point -- moving past blocks -- would be the main reason that I would choose to write non-sequentially.

Along with those links, here are the items I posted on my blog this week:

"Monday July 23rd #writemotivation Update" - Monday's post gave a status on how I'm doing at working toward my goals for the month.

"'Present Company' is Live at Every Day Fiction" - A very brief blog post about my mystery short story.

"Coping with Criticism" - My Thursday blog post talked about dealing with criticism of your published work in the form of reviews or reader comments.

Have a great week everyone!

2 comments:

  1. Love the "5 reasons to..." article. Thanks for the links!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jeff. Glad that you found them useful!

    ReplyDelete