Sunday, November 4, 2012

Sunday Links: November 4, 2012 Edition

I hope that people who are doing NaNoWriMo this year are off to a good start. Even if you're not, don't fret too much; there's a lot of November left to write in and it's not too hard to catch up from a few slow days.

Meanwhile, a quick blogging update. I'll be attending Philcon next weekend (If you're there, please feel free to say "hello"!) so I'm going to take a short blogging hiatus. I'll have a post on Monday 11/5 but then won't run anything scheduled again until Thursday 11/15. I'll most likely put up a trip report from Philcon sometime before the 15th and I'll also report on any interesting news, but otherwise things will be quiet around the blog during that week and a half.

Below are this week's writing-related links as well as links to my own blog posts from this week.

"Shhh... Three Things Silent Movies Can Teach Us About Storytelling" (Janice Hardy at The Other Side of the Story) -  Silent movies have been an important part of my life. My father is a major fan of classic film from the silent era and the early sound era so I grew up with the movies of that time period as a significant part of my film viewing. Janice talks about things that she has observed in silent movies  and how they relate to solid principles of storytelling which can be used by writers today.

"NaNoWriMo: Feel the Fear and Do it Anyway" (Alison Wells) - Speaking of NaNoWriMo as I did at the start of this post, here's a blog post talking about Alison's thoughts on NaNo both last year and this year. If you're feeling a bit stressed about the experience, reading her post might help.

"My Favorite Points of View" (Bill Hopkins guest-posting at Mystery Writing is Murder) - Bill's post talks about the nature, advantages, and disadvantages of First Person and Third-Person Close narrative points of view.

Along with those links, here are the items I posted on my blog this week:

"October Goal Wrap-Up and November Goals Defined" - Monday I looked back at October to see how I had done at meeting the goals I set for myself (decently) and wrote up my goals for the month of November.

"Two Recent Sales: Deep Cuts and Kwik Krimes" - Wednesday, I blogged about two recent sales of mine, both to upcoming anthologies.

"2013 Goal #2: Submit 36 Short Works for the First Time" - Thursday, I wrote up the second in my series of posts with draft goals for 2013. In this post, I talked about wanting to get three dozen new short stories (or novelettes/novellas) out the door to markets in 2013 and gave some of the reasons for setting the goal in that way.

Bonus Post: "The Moments that Make the Work of Writing Worthwhile" - On my Write Every Day blog, I published this post on Wednesday. It talks about some of the things that I find most enjoyable about writing, submitting, and publishing fiction.

Are we really under three weeks to Thanksgiving (here in the US)? It doesn't seem possible, but we are. Turkey and pumpkin pie are just around the corner. Enjoy writing as we move toward the holiday season!

No comments:

Post a Comment