While I'm writing, I'll likely be listening to music. Just last night, I was chatting with a friend and critique partner of Twitter (@digitalinkwell) about what type of music we like to listen to while writing. Both of us like listening to instrumental music, particularly film scores.
Here's a list of ten CDs I like listening to while writing, seven soundtracks, one classical album, one jazz album, and Mogwai (which Wikipedia calls a "post-rock" band). All of these are available to legally stream using Spotify, as well, which is convenient for if you want to try hearing something new. The links below go to the Spotify pages for these CDs.
- Tron: Legacy soundtrack (music by Daft Punk)
- Spirited Away soundtrack (Joe Hisaishi)
- Princess Mononoke Symponic Suite (Joe Hisaishi)
- Passion - Music for The Last Temptation of Christ (Peter Gabriel)
- Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will (Mogwai)
- The Dead Zone soundtrack (Michael Kamen)
- Defiance soundtrack (James Newton Howard)
- Vasily Kalinnikov Symphonies #1 & 2 (performance by National Symphony Orchestra of the Ukraine)
- Dead Again soundtrack (Patrick Doyle)
- 13th House (McCoy Tyner)