Monday, October 31, 2011

Words and Music (or, Countdown to NaNoWriMo)

Here in the Eastern United States we're now down to under nine hours until 2011's National Novel Writing Month starts. I plan to get at least my first 500 words in tonight after midnight rolls around.

While I'm writing, I'll likely be listening to music. Just last night, I was chatting with a friend and critique partner of Twitter (@digitalinkwell) about what type of music we like to listen to while writing. Both of us like listening to instrumental music, particularly film scores.

Here's a list of ten CDs I like listening to while writing, seven soundtracks, one classical album, one jazz album, and Mogwai (which Wikipedia calls a "post-rock" band). All of these are available to legally stream using Spotify, as well, which is convenient for if you want to try hearing something new. The links below go to the Spotify pages for these CDs.
  1. Tron: Legacy soundtrack (music by Daft Punk)
  2. Spirited Away soundtrack (Joe Hisaishi)
  3. Princess Mononoke Symponic Suite (Joe Hisaishi)
  4. Passion - Music for The Last Temptation of Christ (Peter Gabriel)
  5. Hardcore Will Never Die, But You Will (Mogwai)
  6. The Dead Zone soundtrack (Michael Kamen)
  7. Defiance soundtrack (James Newton Howard)
  8. Vasily Kalinnikov Symphonies #1 & 2 (performance by National Symphony Orchestra of the Ukraine)
  9. Dead Again soundtrack (Patrick Doyle)
  10. 13th House (McCoy Tyner)
What's going to be on your playlist as you write in November?

6 comments:

  1. You've got a great list here. I think I'll have to check Spotify for Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon's soundtrack.

    Thanks for the links. Very awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angela, it looks like this is the web link for CTHD...

    http://open.spotify.com/album/0I9oMS7aUjTEj2zRp4g84J

    I may have to give that one a listen. I haven't heard it since I saw the movie. Thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck with NaNo! I'm attempting to do it this year too. Just hope my son naps well. I can't listen to music or anything else when I'm writing. So no playlist for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Christine. Good luck to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope all your NaNoWriMo dreams come true!
    Break a leg... or is it break a pencil?

    ReplyDelete
  6. MISH, just so long as it's not "break a netbook", OK? ;-)

    ReplyDelete