Sunday, September 30, 2012

Sunday Links: September 30, 2012

The calm before the storm...

I have three stories coming out later this week. Web-based stories at Interstellar Fiction and Buzzy Mag and the email pre-release of my story at Daily Science Fiction. (The latter will go live on their website next week.)

There's also the October issue of Kazka Press going live on Monday; the stories I selected as guest editor for their flash fiction contest will all be up on that day.

So I'm going to be blogging and tweeting quite a bit about these stories as they come out this week. I hope that you enjoy any which you end up reading.

Before I get to this week's links, here's a quick rundown of my writing goal progress for the month. I don't have my October goals fleshed out yet. I'll aim to have those up soon, quite possibly Monday.

1) Keep my Daily Writing Chain going. - Done.
2) Decide on and publish revisions to my blogging schedule once my hiatus is complete. - Done.
3) Submit at least six of my previously-completed stories for the first time. - Didn't happen. I'm somewhat disappointed about my lack of progress on this one.
4) Write a story and submit it to Criminal Element. - Done.
5) Write the first draft of my story for the Codex Halloween contest. - This didn't end up happening. It's going to be a close thing at this point to see if I get something submitted.
6) Get a revised version of my novelette out to beta readers. - Done.

I'm calling this "fair." I did get some good work done this month but I've also let some things slip and for one of them (the Codex contest) I'm running out of time.

But that's the month that's passed. For now, let's move on to this week's writing-related links; I hope that some of them are useful to you.

"The 'Ten Thousand Hour Rule' - Does it Mean Anything?" (Daniel Swensen at Surly Muse) - Daniel talks about the oft-cited "rule" that it takes 10,000 hours to master a skill. He covers his thoughts on where that rule might and might not apply, particularly in terms of writing.

"One About One" (William T. Vandemark at SFWA) - William got writers to talk about their favorite sentences from other writers' works. Reading about what made sentences special to people was both entertaining and informative.

"What Makes a Good Critique Team Member?" (Jen J. Danna at Skeleton Keys) - Jen talks about her relationships with critique partners and how she works most effectively with them.

Along with those links, here are the items I posted on my blog this week, skipping over a couple which are already obsolete.

"Two Tidbits" - Wednesday I linked to my #storyeachnight guest post at Nicole Cushing's blog and showed off my first ever appearance in a print book (The Alchemy Press Book of Pulp Heroes).

"Five Things I Learned Reading Slush" - Thursday I wrote about five things I learned while reading submissions for UFO and Kazka Press this summer.

"Brief Context Convention Report" - Yesterday I wrote up a short piece about my experiences at Context 25, held right here in Columbus.

Have a great week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment