This is your biweekly headsup that a short story dissection is coming later this week. Friday I'll be posting a dissection of "Less Stately Mansions" by Rob Chilson. This story was published in the July/August 2011 edition of The Magazine of Fantasy & Science Fiction. So, if you have that issue and haven't read this story yet, now would be the time! If you're not familiar with my Dissecting the Short Story series, what I will do is write up a detailed analysis of the story and what I think may have been some of the issues that the writer considered in crafting their story. The most recent Dissection was for Dave Zeltserman's "A Hostage Situation."
Next, since there are a LOT of new people coming to the blog thanks, in part, to Rachel Harrie's Platform-Building Campaign, I wanted to have a quick getting to know you with my readers!
So, for anyone who wants to join in, here are five questions. I'll give my answers as the first comment on the post.
1) What is a book that you remember being very influential to you as a child?
2) Food -- spicy or mild?
3) What's your favorite "fun" activity besides writing and reading.
4) Setting aside any health/political/social/family issues... If you could pick one place and time to live, where would it be?
5) What's your favorite movie series?
While you're mulling those questions over, I'm going to announce my personal writing goals for September.
1) Write 15,000 words of fiction across at least four stories.
2) Take all of my August stories which have not yet gone through Beta/critique through Beta/critique. (If you're interested in partnering with me for this type of activity, please leave a comment below!)
3) Stick to my planned Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Sunday blogging schedule.
If you'd like to share your goals with me and my readers, feel free to add those to your comments!